Software Engineer – Backend Developer (Python)
Join one of the fastest-growing tech sectors –
Make a huge impact in a fast-paced, lean startup.
At VAPAR, we’re creating a smarter way to keep underground pipes in operation, longer. Piped infrastructure around the world needs to be maintained and repaired in a way that removes the need for long, manual and fatiguing tasks. Currently, there are people who watch hours of video footage of pipe inspections to find issues and have outdated processes to manage their data. We’re the team that’s changing this.
We turn visual data about every-day pipes directly into condition scores so maintenance and repairs happen faster, cheaper and more accurately.
We’re looking for someone mid to senior level who is comfortable taking ownership of their role. In this role, you’ll be working within our development team, linking up with our front-end developers, data scientist and tech team management. You’ll overlap with our product management, sales and marketing team on regular occasions to hear what our customers are saying about our products and to understand priorities. As the team grows, you’ll have the opportunity to grow into either a team manager or get deeper in the tech, and we’ll support you with the required training to do so. If you’re joining us, we want you to become a pillar of the team and have a big impact on what we’re building at VAPAR.
Day in the life
In this role, you’ll…
- Own the development and expansion of multiple applications and scripts, particularly on integrating improvements and new algorithms in our AI processing function
- Assist with our web platform’s Django backend development
- Contribute to the design and scoping process within our teams at VAPAR
- Carry out code reviews and testing of your own code and peers code as needed
- Collaborate and communicate updates to the rest of the VAPAR team
- Conceptualize and build our product roadmap to create value for our users and drive additional usage
- Support the sales and customer support teams to deliver and troubleshoot on behalf of our customers
Must have skills…
On day one, we’ll expect you to have…
- Strong Python coding skills and ability to understand and build on top of existing code.
- Experience with SQL databases, familiarity with working in Linux or with Dockers.
- Creative problem-solving approach and strong business acumen.
- Capability of understanding customer pain points, requirements and correlating potential business to value.
- Experience with software development lifecycle, managing software projects, and working within development teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
What separates the best from the rest
Your application will definitely stand out if:
- You’ve had experience deploying and serving solutions to the cloud or to embedded devices
- You’re a relentless developer who wants to make a difference
- You’re a curious, active learner who can independently research problems, come up with a great solution, and explain it to the team.
- You have a life outside work! We want you to feel comfortable be able to bring your whole self to the office, but we don’t want the office to be your whole self.
- Flexible working hours with the ability to work remotely
- Work with a driven, fun and switched-on team that likes to raise the bar in all that we do.
- Genuine career growth opportunities as we continue to expand!
More about VAPAR
VAPAR was founded by Amanda Siqueira and Michelle Aguilar in 2018. As a Civil Engineer, Amanda had seen enough of the inefficiencies in the pipe condition assessment process and teamed up with Michelle (a Mechatronic Engineer with Intelligent Systems experience) to build technology to enable pipe asset managers to revolutionize their way of working. Since then, the VAPAR team has grown and now has clients in Australia, the UK and New Zealand and continues to scale.